Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Failures or Just so-so Recipes

Ok, I am trying to post at least 2 recipes a day on here (not including weekends), since I am still very behind on my blog and I realized the other day that I am starting to forget the recipes that did not make it into my cookbook. Some of these recipes were either disgusting or just so-so, but feel free to make them yourself since everyone has different taste buds.

Moroccan Chicken Stew - This was a slow cooker meal that I had high hopes for since it had ingredients (apricots, raisins, cinnamon, etc) that I normally do not cook together. This recipe seemed to lack flavor for us and it just didn't jump out as one of the best meals we've ever had - so it didn't make the cut.

Chicken with Apricots - This meal was very disappointing. The chicken lacked so much flavor and the only good thing going for this were the apricots. I was very embarrassed by this meal because I made it for my husband and his friend and it was nothing to rave about. Good thing I made up for it with a really good dessert.

Mushrooms in Ginger Sauce - I served this over steamed green beans and my husband hated it. I thought that it was just so-so and definitely not good enough to make it to my cookbook. I made this with the meat loaf and yogurt dessert which you will see listed below. It was one bad night of food at our house. Yuk!

Ginger-Sesame Meat Loaf - This recipe was listed as an award winning recipe in my BHG cookbook and I can honestly say this was the WORST meal we have ever had to date. It took everything in us to swallow each bite. We had the leftovers in our fridge for about a week and dreaded the days we took it into work for lunch. I did however bring it in to work for a guy to try and he liked it, so maybe you will too - It could have just been something we didn't care for.

Peanut-Butter-Banana Trifles - Our Meat Loaf and Green Bean Mushroom night was topped off with this horrible treat. I really didn't see how anything with banana's and peanut butter could be disgusting but wow was I surprised with my first bite of this. I honestly think that we didn't care for the plain yogurt taste and I'm sure this would have been so much better if we used vanilla yogurt, but I wanted to follow the recipe as written. GROSS! My husband only ate one bite of his before throwing it away, where I managed to eat all of mine but threw the leftovers away a few days later. If I would try this recipe again I would definitely try it with vanilla yogurt.

Peruvian-Style Chicken Tacos - I thought the ingredients sounded interesting and in my BHG cookbook it was listed as an award winning recipe but given that the meat loaf (listed above) was also an award winning recipe I can't assume that means it is going to taste good to us. The flavors were different and ok but my husband thinks he didn't care for this recipe because of the ground chicken. Bottom line is even though we thought it was just so-so that isn't good enough to make it into my cookbook.

Chicken Fajita Pasta - This recipe was just ok. It tasted good and was very easy to make but it just didn't wow us. I thought it was going to be a little more spicier than it was, given that it had a chile pepper, chili powder and red pepper flakes but I hardly noticed any spiciness. It just seemed to lack the flavor I was hoping for.

Mango-Ginger Smoothie - I love mangos and thought this drink was going to be so refreshing and tasty. Wrong! Again, I think I just don't care for the taste of plain yogurt - it has a bite to it and I could taste it with every sip of this smoothie. I might try it with a flavored yogurt and see how that goes.

Beef and Cabbage Wraps - I liked this meal but my husband did not. He really isn't a fan of barbecue sauce so that is the reason it is in this list. If you like barbecue sauce I would definitely recommend you give this recipe a try.

Upside-Down Berry Cornmeal Cake - My husband really hated this cake and even though I did not share my husbands dislike for it I still didn't want to make it again for myself. It tasted more like a corn bread with some fruit in it rather than a cake. It does make a nice breakfast treat though.

Apple Pecan Salad - This salad wasn't terrible but nothing that special either. My husband hated the salad dressing, but loved eating just the apples.

Butterscotch Brownies - These brownies were AWFUL. In my BHG cookbook these were another award winning recipe so I thought I would give it a try. Who the heck is giving out these awards? These brownies never cooked all the way through and I had them in the oven for an extra 25 minutes. They are gooey and the bottom of the pan formed a weird sugary syrup - GROSS!

These last 2 recipes I cannot seem to find on the BHG website. Refreshing Green Mango Sipper - It was a very good recipe and my husband loved it but I didn't care for it as much only because I HATE pulp and this is loaded with it. If I do find the recipe on their website I will update this post. The other recipe was a slow cooker meal, Italian Round Steak Dinner; It was ok but not great. After eating it both my husband and I said even though it tasted good it isn't something we would want to make again. I will also post this recipe for you if I find it on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment